Travel and immigration information

Student Pass and Passport Requirements

  • An international student’s passport must have a minimum validity of 14 (fourteen) months beyond the period of stay when entering Malaysia.
  • International students must give at least 6 (six) weeks notice for processing applications for Student Pass.
  • Students are permitted to hold only one pass at a time, i.e. the Student Pass.
  • The Student Pass is non-transferable and permits you to study only at SRI® College. The pass is valid for 1 (one) year and is renewable while you remain as a student of SRI® College.
  • Note that the cost of the Student Pass application as charged by the Immigration Department of Malaysia will be borne by the student.

Visa Requirements

International students are advised to check on visa requirements at the Embassy or Consulate of Malaysia's Office nearest to you. International students will usually be given a 14-day special pass while waiting for the student pass stamp on your passport. Nationals from China have to apply for and obtain a visa from the Embassy of Malaysia in Beijing or the Consulate of Malaysia's office in Guangzhou

Social Visit Pass

It is advisable that international students get approval of the Student Pass before leaving your country because in case the social pass expires before your Student Pass is approved, you will have to leave and re-enter Malaysia.

Dependent Pass

If international students hold a Dependent Pass, you need to submit photocopies of your parents’ or spouse's passport and work permit to SRI® College when applying for your Student Pass.

Note that all students and visitors to Malaysia are subject to the Immigration Act 1959/63

Expiry and Extension of Student Pass

It is the responsibility of the international students to submit applications for Student Pass extension one (1) month before the expiry date. Failure to do so may cause you to be compounded for overstaying in Malaysia by the Immigration Department.

Working in Malaysia

The Immigration Department of Malaysia does not permit international students to work while studying in Malaysia.

Return Ticket and Proof of Sufficient Funds

International students may be required to present proof of your financial ability to finance your studies in Malaysia together with a confirmed return ticket to another destination.

Leaving and Re-entry to Malaysia

When returning to Malaysia from your holiday, please ensure that your Student Pass is still valid for no less than 1 (one) month from the date you re-enter Malaysia. You are advised to inform SRI® College of your travel plans and the length of your stay abroad.

Renewal of Passport

International students are strongly advised to renew their passports at the respective country's Embassy, High Commission, Diplomatic or Consulate Office in Kuala Lumpur in order to facilitate transfer of Student Pass endorsement from the old passport to the new one.


The information above describes the immigration requirements at the time of writing. It is important to check with your local Malaysian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate that this information is still up to date, as immigration rules change from time to time. A useful website where you can check immigration details is